Sport Mascherano to retire from internationals after 2018 World Cup

07:45  13 october  2017
07:45  13 october  2017 Source:   Goal.com

Rooney should be loved like Totti – Eriksson

  Rooney should be loved like Totti – Eriksson Sven-Goran Eriksson believes if Wayne Rooney was Italian, he would be loved like Francesco Totti.Wayne Rooney deserved to be loved by England the way Francesco Totti was in Italy, according to Sven-Goran Eriksson.

- Argentina veteran Javier Mascherano confirmed he would retire from internationals after the 2018 World Cup in Russia. A Lionel Messi hat-trick led Jorge Sampaoli's men to a 3-1 win over Ecuador on Tuesday, securing a place at the showpiece event.

Buenos Aries, October 13: Argentina veteran Javier Mascherano confirmed he would retire from internationals after the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

  Mascherano to retire from internationals after 2018 World Cup © Provided by Goal.com

Argentina veteran Javier Mascherano confirmed he would retire from internationals after the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

A Lionel Messi hat-trick led Jorge Sampaoli's men to a 3-1 win over Ecuador on Tuesday, securing a place at the showpiece event.

Mascherano, who has won 139 caps – just four shy of the nation's all-time record held by Javier Zanetti, said Russia 2018 would mark the end of his international career.

"My cycle in the national team finishes in Russia," the 33-year-old Barcelona man told TyC Sports on Thursday.

"I have been clear that it will be my final point."

Mascherano has been used in midfield and defence for Argentina, who struggled in qualifying and were in danger of missing the World Cup before Messi's heroics.

The former Liverpool midfielder said he hoped to be in Russia, but added it was a decision for Sampaoli.

Mascherano said: "The decisions are taken by the coach and he will decide if I am in Russia or not.

"I will try in these six or seven months to prepare to be able to be. Sampaoli will decide.

"I have a lot of respect for the decision that coaches make."

Anthony Joshua title fight with Kubrat Pulev in doubt .
Anthony Joshua's world heavyweight title fight with Kubrat Pulev has been thrown into doubt amid reports the Bulgarian has suffered an injury. The IBF and WBA champion had been scheduled to face his mandatory challenger at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on October 28 and in front of a near-80,000-strong crowd, with over 70,000 tickets already sold.Reports in Bulgaria claim Pulev suffered a muscle tear in training 10 days ago, and sources close to Joshua have refused to confirm the fight will proceed as planned.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!